Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Time was Running Out

Lord Thayer needed to make a choice and he was finding it hard to do.



Meet Lord Stephen Thayer, Earl of Roselea, second son of the Duke. It is time to set up his nursery, and the women who would say "yes" to his proposal are tremendous, if he would only choose on and ask the question.


Let's check in on him after one of these wild nights of Stephen trying to find an appropriate wife but avoid the hoards. He is talking over the most recent prospects with his father and brother, all with their own opinion.


lordthayerschoice

Coming Friday, January 27th


Alyssa Bailey Books




Excerpt


“Stephen, are there any women who have even piqued your interest in the slightest way?” asked his father.


“Well, not that Landry woman. Gad, her manners are atrocious, absolutely astonishing.”


The three men sat with ale that had silently appeared to contemplate further Stephen’s fate.


“There is no help for it, but she guffaws,” continued Stephen. “I cannot, will not live with


a laughing horse.”


“Stephen, be kind, son,” Lord Thayer admonished. “Although, I must agree with your


assessment, don’t tell your mother.”


James added to the conversation, “Now Lady Roundtree is interesting.”


“Yes, James,” Stephen agreed, “very fair to look at but then I danced with her, and she


has very little to support an original thought.”


“Oh? Shame, that. Her children would have been handsome,” observed his father.


Stephen laughed. “Yes, however, I suppose I should find occasion to speak to the woman


I choose to marry, not simply bed her.”


“And what about that blonde you danced with last night?” James asked. “She was


comely, and you were laughing and speaking quite well with her.”


His father joined in, “Oh yes that was the Donnelly lass? She would have plenty of strong


children.”


“Yes, but she was quite clear about being desirous of Lord Madison. As a gentleman, I


should not usurp that option from her.”


“Yes, it wouldn’t do. You’d have an immediate discord. Better not to start out with any,”


pointed out James. “Lady Johnstone?”


His father replied dryly, “Hips too narrow. How about the recent widow Lady Aaron?”


“Too many children. I do want some of my own.”


“Lady Winchesterly?” suggested James.


Stephen snorted, “Too tiresome and too jaded.”


“I’m not sure I have much more to help you with, brother.”


“I know. I’ll find one. I am not a particular man,” he said, to which his companions laughed in disbelief. He continued defensively, “There are just some things a man cannot forfeit,


and peace of mind is one of those things. Affection is another he should not sacrifice.”


“Yes, well, I hope it keeps you warm at night. That piece of mind.”


Stephen turned to his brother. “How did you choose Elizabeth?”


“She was everything I wanted. I didn’t have to decide; the choice was already made when I met her.”


“Yes, well too bad she came with a mother cut from a different cloth.” His father looked at James. “Don’t tell your mother that either.”


“Quite right. Father, how about you with mother, how did you know?”


“The moment I danced with her I knew. The minute she stomped her small foot at me in agitation, I made the deal. I knew she was perfect.”


“Well, then I shall look for a woman who is not too long in the tooth, but not a schoolgirl, with a brain but not a bluestocking, one who can make me laugh but not rudely so. She must have ample hips, stomping feet, with manners. She must have a rounded arse for spanking and no more than two added straphangers. Let’s see, anyone come to mind?”


“Sorry, old man, I don’t think that girl exists.” Both men sadly mumbled, no prospects in


their memory.


“Well then, that means I close up the house and go to the country for the winter entertainment, and maybe I’ll find someone in the New Year.”


Save

No comments:

Post a Comment