Friday, March 3, 2017

News From Chase Abbey

Hello and Greetings from Chase Abbey,


This new posting system is now working rather well from Chase Abbey,  so I didn't think it too extravagant to let you in on my wonderful news. Well, it isn't really news yet, but it will be.


Nathaniel may have a bride. Or soon, anyway, and I cannot tell you the loose tongues it has induced. Barrington has already had words with Caroline and I, simply for mentioning the prospect. His Grace was quiet, but Barrington has threatened to take me home if the chatter doesn't stop and he was looking at Her Grace when he said it! That was bold, even for Barrington.


Oh, what fortune, that as I was writing this missive, Barrington has ushered in Alexander. On second thought, looking at his dark countenance, it might not be a good thing. I shall continue to sit in the corner desk and listen as I write. I shan't be the one in trouble this day for I have been careful to be quite proper while my husband is in such a mood. It would not bode well for my bottom if I am too bohemian today.  Everyone knows if Barrington is in a mood, it is best to remedy the problem quickly and I have taken care to not be the problem that needs correcting. Today.


Here, I'll let you listen vicariously:


"Where is Caroline, Barrington?"


"About, I imagine. What is it that has you thundering about so?"


"That sister of yours..."


"You mean that woman of yours..."


"Yes, yes, my sweetheart, has found it necessary to not only ride my best steed, but without her sidesaddle, without her groom, and into the shops."


"Sorry, old man. I know all about those types of wifely choices. Father is going to go home in a few days, I would entice Caroline to go with him. You can attend her after we have a moment's discussion on this Nathaniel thing."


"I'm not sure I am ready for all this husbandly duty. It at first seemed such a harmless thing to engage in but now..."


"Now it appears to be quite a handful. Yes, it certainly is that. But the rewards are greater than the trials, of that I can assure you."


"That is an assurance I shall hold you to."


"Father, mother and I are invited to discuss the Nate matter this evening at dinner."


"Her Grace is taking this well, I can assume?"


"No, she is not. She is refusing to go, and His Grace is not demanding she does so. Would work better if it were just the men this time round, anyway."


"Yes, well, I have even more to add to the situation ... I say, Amelia, I didn't notice you there."


"Oh, yes, I am here. Pray, do not let me disturb you."


"Still writing that letter? I have my suspicions you are more listening than writing so why don't we go into my study, Ravens, and sit down. We won't be disturbing you then."


Well, they have gone. Sorry, I did try to be as quiet as I could, but there is nothing for it. I must say goodbye for now. I need to find Caroline before her Alexander does for she might not be sitting as pretty as she is now without some interventions of the womanly sort.


Must Go,


With all good thoughts,


Amelia Barrington


Chase Abbey

No comments:

Post a Comment